Water Damage Repair Tips For Every Homeowner
When something goes wrong, the natural instinct for someone is to repair it immediately. This includes things like, going to the salon to fix broken nails, going to a therapist to fix a broken relationship, or going into the car repair to fix your vehicle. The same applies when you experience water damage in your Layton home.
Water damage can do some serious damage if not taken care of. It comes from a number of sources including:
- Burst or leaking pipes
- Plumbing malfunctions
- Broken household appliances
- Natural disasters and severe weather
- Sewage Backup
When these types of damages occur, it is important to contact your local water damage repair professionals as soon as you can! Professionals, like those at Swift Restoration and Remodeling, understand that time is of the essence and will come to your aid as soon as possible. While you are waiting for them to arrive, here are a few things you can do to help with the water damage repairs:
- Contact Your Home Insurance Company: this is an important step. It is important for them to be up to date with what has happened to your home. Be sure to take great notes so that you can be assisted financially as smoothly as possible.
- Open Doors And Windows: standing water is a danger to your home. Although professional help will be better in terms of drying out your home, you can also open your windows and doors to begin the drying process.
- Wear A Mask: this is to protect yourself against possible mold, mildew, and allergens. If these things are inhaled, they can cause some serious health concerns. Safety is a first priority!
- Disconnect All Electronics: if it is safe to do so, unplug anything that is connected to an electrical cord. There is nothing worse than electricity and water. Make sure you are safely able to do this however; if not, let the water damage repair team come in and help you!
- Remove What Water You Can: Use old towels, buckets, and mops to soak up as much water as possible.
- Disinfect: After the area has dried out, including wood beams, insulation, drywall, etc., use a good disinfectant to get rid of any bacteria that might have come up through sewers, toilets, etc. Remember that this is just a temporary solution, and contacting professionals to disinfect that the repairs are properly done.
- Dispose Of Damaged Items: it is important to get rid of any items in your home that may have been affected. Be sure to recycle too if you can!
Water Damage Repair In Layton
Water damage is never fun to deal with, but by following these simple tips, you will be able to be on your way. And do not forget to contact your local water damage repair team! Experts like those at Swift Restoration in Layton, will be able to assist you with all of your water damage repair needs!