CALL NOW!

24 HOUR EMERGENCY SERVICE

(801)544-5608

Why is Smoke Damage So Bad?

 

fire damage repair laytonThe initial shock and damage of a fire to one’s home or property is a very devastating loss. In just moments a fire can destroy so much. It is for this reason that people often underestimate the risks of the potential dangers after the fire has been put out. That danger is smoke damage. There are many reasons why this can be such a potent danger. Here are a few of them.

It can cause serious health problems-

Since soot is so small, it not only penetrates throughout your house but it can easily penetrate into your bloodstream. This is a big problem because there are numerous toxic materials the soot contains. If this happens to you it could put you at risk for bronchitis, asthma, stroke, heart attack, cancer, and even death.

This isn’t to mention the other toxins that could be left in the air in the aftermath of a fire. Here’s a list of a few of them and the potential effects.

  • Asbestos fibers- These fibers don’t do anything until they are disturbed, but a fire can be just the thing to set them off. Inhalation of these fibers can cause cancer.
  • Burned carbon materials can produce carbon monoxide, hydrogen, ammonia, and tar. All of these can very detrimental id not fatal to health.
  • The smoke coming from the wood in your home shares more than 100 chemicals found in cigarette smoke. The smoke from these can create cancer-causing carcinogens in the air.

 It’s very difficult to clean without professional help-

Smoke isn’t just something you can wipe up with a towel. It spread all throughout the air in your house. The smoke smell and chemicals will permeate throughout your whole home. The only way to get rid of this for good is to involve professionals with professional grade cleaning equipment that can get the smell out.

The other reason why it is so impossible to take care of on your own is because of soot. Soot is composed mostly of carbon produced by incomplete combustion of coal, oil, wood, or other fuels. It can consist of acids, chemicals, metals, soils, and dust. It is actually about 40 times smaller than a grain of sand. It will go through walls, ceilings, doors, carpet, and many other parts of your home. Essentially, it gets everywhere. Getting all of this cleaned up is a job for those who are professionally trained.

If fire damage affects you and your home, don’t despair. It can seem like an impossibly large task at first to return your home back to what it was, but in many cases it is possible. The key is quickly hiring a professional cleaning and restoration team that has the experience and the equipment to get the job done right. One such company is Swift Restoration in the Layton, Utah area. So, if the unthinkable happens please call so we can help you bring your home and life back to what it was.

 Call Now button